Sunday, July 3, 2011

I Live In A Palace




Living in a Third World country really opens your eyes to ALL that you have in the States.  You are reminded that your lifestyle in the States really is luxurious compared to most the world. 

When I had spent 3 months in Malawi, Africa in 2005 I came home and struggled with feeling so disgusted at how MUCH stuff we have in the states and how ungrateful we become; we forget how rich we really are.  When Joseph and I visited Calcutta, India in 2009 and did our daily walk through the streets where families, young and old, lined the streets laying underneath the only thing they owned, a blanket, some didn’t even have that.   I remember going to bed every night thinking “I can’t believe I was just wanting to redecorate my home…I can’t believe I wanted to get a different bed spread.   I really do live in a palace; I have all that I will ever need and more!” 

And now I am living in Honduras.  Last night I was lying on my comfortable bed, underneath our mosquito net, in our cement home with a tin roof and that same thought that I had in India returned… “I live in a palace!”  Just a few miles down the street from us lives a family of FIFTEEN who live in a smaller house than we do, they don’t have mosquito nets or a feather comforter to sleep under….oh yeah, and between the 15 of them, they share 3 beds. 

I LIVE IN A PALACE. 

So what does that make our old apartment in Seattle….definitely more luxurious than I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment