Monday, June 6, 2011

Bad News...then WORSE News

The bad news is that there was a huge storm last night that carried into this morning so we couldn't leave for Belize because the government of Honduras wouldn't open up the port. So now we have to pay for two hotels tonight and spend one less day on the beautiful beaches of Belize.

The worse news is that it gave me a chance to go to the doctor here in Puerto Cortes, Honduras. I have been having stomach pains and horrible diarrhea for about a week now. I wake up every morning and lose about 25% of my body weight in the toilet and then don't visit the bathroom for the rest of the day. Not to mention the lack of energy, horrible stomach cramps, dizziness, and other awesome symptoms!

Nearly half the girls at our school got sick with similar symptoms, but theirs went away in 2-3 days. After a week, I finally decided to see a doctor. I was quite surprised by my ability to communicate with him, but wasn't too happy with what he said. Most likely, he thinks that I have an intestinal parasite. I have had all the symptoms common with an intestinal parasite and he said that my colon and intestine are both inflamed. He said it also could be a bacterial infection. He gave me two types of medicine (one for bacterial infection and one for parasite), but before I take them I have sent their names to an RN friend to check to make sure they are legit. If they aren't legit, or they don't work, I will be looking for someone to get their hands on some good US medicine and find a way to get it to Nasvhille, TN before June 16th so my mother-in-law can get it down to me when she visits.

If I were lazy, the good news would be that I can officially remove my pants and shorts without undoing the button since I have lost so much weight in the last week (which is not a good thing for an already skinny guy). Also, I have been looking forward to eating brownies, ice cream, pizza, hamburgers, and many other foods this week, and that was ruined this morning when the doctor told me that I should only eat veggies, chicken, soup, and rice. I'm not really sure I understand why since everything I eat comes out the same way the next morning anyway. I was so excited (joke) to hear that I get to eat exactly the same things I've been eating every meal for the last three months on my vacation to Belize.

Needless to say I am a bit bummed this afternoon, but still happy to be relaxing in our hotel with my wife and son. I sure hope to get this parasite (if it even is a parasite) under control before he eats my entire body from the inside out - is that even possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment