Saturday, May 28, 2011

Perfect Timing (written by Hailey)

(Written last week)

Before moving to Honduras I had told Joseph that I wanted and envisioned our home to be a place where everyone feels welcome and a place everyone wants to be, especially children of the community. I wanted our home to be a fun and safe place for kids to come and hang out and be loved on. When we arrived in Honduras I was a little sad to see that we lived even more remotely than I imagined; I guess I thought there would be more people coming and going from around our house, like in a neighbor. So I put my dream of having Honduran children running around my home away, assuming that it would not happen.

But today….it happened! And it couldn’t have been at a more perfect time!

My family in Tennessee asked if they could send us anything a while ago so we sent them a list of a few things that we needed and a few other things that would be fun to have. (We don’t have a mailing address here so what people have to do is send the packages to the organizations home office in Virginia and then about every 3 months or so they ship all that they have at that time in a large container to Honduras. It takes about a month or so for the packages to get to us because of the size of the container and the necessary travel time and going through customs.) We were so excited to hear that our packages were arriving this week but we were not sure of the exact day or time. When they arrived I felt like a little kid in a candy store ☺ It is amazing how such simple things like almonds and raisins and lotion can get you so excited when you live out in the middle of no where ☺

We got everything unpacked just as a group of people from the community came over for a church service. One of the builders here was leading the service outside under our dining structure and it started to rain. The small kids stayed warm on their parent’s laps while the other older children ran for cover in the kitchen. I saw them and waved them over to our home. They came running over due to one of the kid’s promptings, she is the daughter of the cook who works here often with her mother. I was so happy to not just offer them shelter from the rain but now, after receiving the container I could offer them some toys to play with! I also brought out a few of Micah’s books that are in Spanish and of course I had to offer them some treats too.

I sat there and looked around and realized that what I envisioned our house being used for was actually taking place! I was filled with Joy and so grateful for the generosity of my family and for the Lord’s perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment