Saturday, April 16, 2011

My First Experience with the Honduran Military

Just a few days ago when the fires were still semi-threatening, the Honduran military decided to pay us a visit. It couldn't have come at worse timing for me, as the students were gone, the other volunteers were gone, and the Honduran men who work here had just left for the day. That meant that only Hailey, Micah, and I were here. They pulled up in two huge trucks, carrying approximately 70-80 men in full uniform. Needless to say I was a bit nervous. I walked straight up to who I thought was in charge (I thought that because he was the one with the gun), and immediately said (in spanish), "I only speak a little bit of spanish, but if this visit is for something important, I can be back with a Honduran in about 5 minutes." He told me that my little bit of spanish should be sufficient and they were only here to check the fire out. They stayed for about 20 minutes. Some guys were looking around, some guys were telling jokes, and many of them were just staring at me. I was completely surrounded by the military and felt quite intimidated. Finally, they told me that they were going to come back the next day.

Overall, it was a pleasant first experience with the Honduran military, but I hope there won't be need for another visit. I wish I could have gotten a picture, but that may have been quite awkward.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that would have been intimidating! I sent your boxes today, there are two big totes :) that will be fun for you guys to go thru them. Love you all and I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story... so glad all went well. Love looking at your blogsite! Proud of you for your courage to learn from Nate and just go for it. I understand from Sylvia, Hailey is doing much better with her spanish also. I know you miss the students during Holy Week. Have a Happy Easter with Micah. Know all three of you are loved so very much back here & you are in our prayers always. Well before all the pre-dinner bustle begins I wanted to wish you a very Good Friday!!! Hugs to all... Lizabeth

    ReplyDelete