Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"If you can't say anything RIGHT, don't say anything at all" ???


(I wrote this post a few days ago and just got around to posting it.)

Being in a foreign country is intimidating. Not being able to speak the language is not an easy thing and takes a lot of time getting use to.  I came to Honduras knowing a little more than the basics but that doesn’t get me too far. I can start a conversation but then the conversation usually ends after the person I am talking to responds to me because I can barely understand what they answered back with J haha.  So naturally, it is easy to feel that attempting to talk with anyone really is a lost cause.  I found myself thinking the other day of a common phrase but changing it up a little bit, “ If you can’t say anything RIGHT, don’t any anything at all.”
I know what you are thinking,  that is not true!   And I know that, but to be honest I have found myself thinking that.  But recently, I was gratefully challenged to do otherwise by observing a new volunteer.

Nate arrived a few days ago and it became very clear that he knew pretty much no Spanish J  But the amazing thing is that that didn’t stop him from trying to communicate with the students. He probably says “uh..” 100 times during a 2 minute conversation J But because he shows interest and tries to do what he can to talk and to learn from the others, they give him their complete attention and I find Nate talking with these girls for hours on end!  

Seeing Nate’s humility and boldness and desire to communicate really challenges me. It challenges me to just start talking and just because everything won’t come out “right”, that is OK!  They will get the idea of what I am trying to say as I use hand motions and speak in broken Spanish.  That is the best way to learn; by sticking yourself out there.

So I hope in the next few days I learn from Nate’s example and just do what I can to communicate with the.  I bet I will learn much more that way than I would just reading out of a dictionary and trying to get everything written out before I speak it J

Getting over the intimidation factor is not easy, but it is possible and I am going to hold onto that!


******  Since I wrote this post a few days ago, before the students left for their vacation, I did what I said I would do and stepped out of my comfort zone and praise the Lord I survived :)  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I was met with grace and joined with laughter.  God is good.  I look forward to more moments and conversations like the ones I have experienced by being obedient and bold for Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Muy bien Hailey! It will come, one day you will find yourself thinking in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so fun following your journey. Having trouble contacting you ..........frustrating. :(
    I love you darlings
    Mom

    ReplyDelete