Friday, August 12, 2011

Two Become One...

The phrase "Two become One" that is so often used in weddings and in reference to married couples has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Sometimes I feel like I understand what it means intellectually, but how can two people actually become one? Of course, they can't literally become one, but how can they even become one emotionally, psychologically, spiritually, or in a variety of other ways? I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time trying to explain that, nor do I want to give myself a headache, but it is an interesting phrase that I have been thinking about today.

It has been on my mind because my better half left with our son this morning to spend two weeks in Nashville, TN visiting her family. We decided that it would be best for her to see family, get some good food, and have some extra help with Micah since her morning sickness has been so bad. I do what I can to help around here, but my schedule gets busy with the students and volunteers.

Back to the point...I actually feel that part of me is not here in Honduras. Hailey and I have spent some time apart, but for some reason it feels different this time. While I have a lot of work to keep me busy while she is gone, the first 10 hours haven't felt right. I've done the usual routine - teach class, shower, eat dinner, and hang out - but it doesn't feel normal. It feels like something is missing. Something IS missing!

So from now on when I hear the phrase "Two become One," or a phrase meaning something similar, I will understand on a new level.

I am missing part of me.

1 comment: