Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Visit to the Embassy

Today, I (Joseph) got to go into the capital city of Honduras (Tegucigalpa) for a meeting at the US Embassy. Several months ago, one of the Economics Officers at the Embassy contacted me to see if there was anything the Embassy could do to help The Leadership Center. After a great visit in March, he invited me to the Embassy to talk in more detail. Unfortunately, he was called out of town for business, but set me up with one of his co-workers.

After a long morning (motorcycle paperwork not in order, no license plate on another motorcycle, flat tire on another, and more), I finally made it to the Embassy 15 minutes before my meeting started. I sat in the lobby waiting, only to find out that my passport hadn't been processed properly, so I didn't clear security. Thankfully, a brief conversation and some extra help got me in just in time.

I had a wonderful conversation with an Embassy officer about the work The Leadership Center is doing to improve the lives of young women and communities around Honduras. The officer was encouraged and will put me in touch with a wide group of people in the coming weeks. Hopefully, these new contacts will help provide internships, funding, mentorships, teachers, leadership opportunities, and much more for the students of TLC.

It has been great to see how doors keep opening without me having to go run through them. When the first Economics Officer visited campus and I asked him him how he got my contact information, he said, "I don't remember, but I'm glad I got it" (Joseph Paraphrase). Me too!

I returned to campus greatly encouraged and motivated by my conversation at the Embassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment