Thursday, March 17, 2011

Making Decisions

It's been a while since Hailey or I have posted on our blog since we have been traveling and spending time with family and friends. Once we get to Honduras, I'm sure we'll have much more to write about. But for now, I will write briefly about something I have been thinking a lot about these last few days.

I am so grateful for the people in my life who have helped me make decisions. I have been blessed over the last few years to create close relationships with people I trust who have been able to provide wisdom and advice in many situations in my life. People like my two pastors in Seattle, some close friends in my Bible Study group, my family members, and good buddies from college have all played an important role in many decisions I have made. In our individualistic society, many people cherish the fact that they can make important decisions without input from anyone else.

Not Me!

I value input from other people. How can I make a sound decision based solely on my own opinion and limited experience? Why do some people feel that making decisions without hearing different opinions is a sign of weakness or dependence on others? And why is dependence on others often seen as a negative thing?

I am a firm believer that seeking advice, counsel, wisdom, and input (or whatever else you may call it) is an extremely valuable thing. I always want to have people in my life who are not afraid to say the hard things - people who are not afraid to hurt my feelings or say something I may not agree with because they believe it is something I need to hear. I want to be a person who will learn from others so that I can make the best decisions for me and my family. I also hope that I will be the type of person who will share my experiences and knowledge with others in order to give them a different perspective or help them make decisions as well.

Of course I understand the responsibility of making my own decisions, but why make them alone? Why not include others?

Hailey and I are in the middle of making some important decisions in our lives, and I hope we continue to seek advice in these decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment